Monday 7 August 2017

Spartan Assault Tank

Hi All,

I’ve finally gotten around to finishing up my Spartan Assault Tank which I run for my Cataphractii Terminator Squad (and usually my Warsmith or Perturabo too!). I’ve had the kit for quite some time and despite it being partially finished for ages, I decided to pull my finger out and finish the kit.


The Spartan is a great model and it’s a fairly massive kit too – it’s the biggest resin model that I’ve built so far and it was pretty daunting when I first got the box as I hadn’t been working with resin for that long at the time!



I’ve learned that the only way to run the Spartan is with all the upgrades, you’ll want a Flare Shield, Auxiliary Drive and some Armoured Ceramite to ensure you get to where you want to go. It’s an expensive model to begin with and there’s no point in skimping on the upgrades once you’ve laid down more than 300 points for the barebones model!



My experience of fielding the Spartan is that your opponent will either focus a disproportionate amount of firepower on it, leaving the rest of your army untouched, or will largely ignore it and deal with its contents when they arrive. Either way, it always tends to have an impact on a game!



In larger games, I run my Spartan with Perturabo, a Terminator Warsmith and 10 Cataphractii Terminators with plenty of upgrades to go around, which sets me back around 1570 points... ouch!!

How do you field yours, and what do you put inside it?
Cheers!


Ikthelion

14 comments:

  1. Looking good mate. What is your average point game you play with your Iron Warriors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, at the moment I can put down 3500 painted, so try to throw as many models at the table as often as I can!

      Delete
  2. Lovely, I have an older one to paint up with the separate tracks, ahrgh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't envy you having to put that together though!

      Delete
  3. Chevrons look awesome. Well done.

    How many more Iron Warriors do you need to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Drake! As for how many more I need to do... is there ever such a thing as a finished army?! I've got 3500 points painted, and only have a Tactical Squad and Rhino left to do for them now. Considering starting a second Heresy project to run alongside the IVth, so they can continue to grow slowly!

      Delete
    2. Why not start doing some post heresy iron warriors? That way you can use chaos marine book and get more use out of your army.

      Delete
  4. I intend to kitbash a land raider and a predator into a Spartan for my Salamanders!! And then fully load it up with Vulkan and Firedrakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I had the wild idea of sticking 20 breachers with an apothecary in a spartan and rolling it to an objective I wanted. The idea being that its a super big distraction deathstar, but one that WANTs to be shot at and charged as much as possible. also because its not a primarch and termies, its not super obvious what its job will be, boarders are typically back field units.

    If I was to do a big 20 man squad of boarder marines, I'd want to model them on giant bases with them in locked shields. would be pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I run mine bare bones with 20 tacticals a primus Medicae, praetor and a chaplain. Just run it up the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many more Iron Warriors do you need to do?




    เย็ดสาว

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Orthos,

    Amazing work. I am currently building a full Grand Battalion of Iron Warriors, but tried out so many paint schemes. Could you share a breakdown?

    Many thanks and warm regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'll have to do a post on my scheme, but here's a brief summary:
      Leadbelcher
      Army Painter Dark Tone all over
      Drybrush three layers of silver highlights, getting more selective as you go
      Gold is Retributor Armour
      Then drown the whole model in Agrax Earthshade
      Pick out the detailing as necessary

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
  9. It’s really a great and helpful piece of information. I am happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete