Tuesday 24 May 2016

Sons of Horus First Company Update 15

Hello all!

I have spent tonight painting furiously to get my latest model completed! It has taken a couple of hours but I have managed to finish it! It's not quite fully dry but I wanted to get some photos up for you all to see! So here we are my first of 3 Dreadclaws:


I wanted to use etched brass on each of the 5 side but the Dreadclaw lacks space to be able to get these on. So for the time being it doesn't have any legion markings. My plan will be to add something to the tops of the fins when the new Sons of Horus stickers get released.


I will mostly be using the Dreadclaw to transport 10 man Reaver squads around. Dropping them into battle and using them to get the Reavers straight into combat! I may make use of them to drop 5 Justaerin or a Contemptor into battle from time to time for a change!


My experience with these so far has been good, they get whatever is inside into the heart of the battle quickly and once the troops are out they are very useful for blocking line of sight!

I've not decided what I will work on next yet, it will depend on if I fancy building or painting when I next get some hobby time! So it will either be 11 Justaerin or Reaver and Leviathan making.

Darien


12 comments:

  1. The Anvilus version of the Dreadclaw is growing on me. The fully Chaos'd up version was something I always wanted but never managed to get before it went out of production. This definitely shows that a good paint job on an Anvilus can look rather gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I much prefer this version to the old one!

      Delete
  2. Looks great mate :) well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best thing with the dreadclaw is that it lands as a fast skimmer. So you pick a wide open area to land in and scatter. Then in the shooting phase you can turbo boost up to 18inches, getting to where ever you need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really?! That's ridiculous- in a good way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I know!! Same for the Kharybdis as well, though that does have guidance!

    It's extremely useful and the next turn you can move 6'' before you get out 6 as well. Making its threat range pretty large. It doesn't add huge amounts to the game after its payload is out, making it very low priority for your opponent to shoot at so I make sure I use it to block and annoy to try and force my opponent to waste the good guns shooting it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the model and your paint job does it proud! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to make mention that if a skimmer is forced to end it's movement somewhere where it is unable to, it reduces distance until it can legally be placed, just like pseudo-inertial guidance. Just look up skimmer rules in the BRB!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting but I think that would more apply to normal movement. If you entered via deep strike and scattered to something you could not land on then you would still mishap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just can't think of any situation where a skimmer would otherwise be forced to end movement somewhere

    ReplyDelete