So it has been longer than a year since the Horus Heresy got its first plastic Minis. I think it would be a good opportunity to reflect on this and to also see what the 30k community out there think about the last 13 months.
Resin vs Plastic.
Well an age old argument. Originally I was terrified of GW taking over the range as it was sure to mean loss of detail, mould shadows etc. The MKIV Legionaires had a bigger impact on 30k than the latter MKIII in my opinion. The detail lost on knee caps (compared to the resin raised and protruding knee pads) did upset me a little bit, as it felt like you were forced to edge highlight the edges to make it more visible. There were mould shadows on the rivets too which is never great (one big downside of plastic mounds over resin).
Size differences on the MKIV were very obvious too. The resin plates were quite slim in comparison around the shins and thighs, and is the ultimate reason why Kaelo quit his Emperor's Children for the second time. The head too is also very different in size.
The Cataphractii were very good detail-wise (only minor gripe was the static looking Pteruges), as were the subsequent Tartaros terminators. Absolutely fantastic getting these considering the price of them.
The Contemptor Dreadnought was a lazy mould in my opinion. It would have been good as a boxed game Dreadnought, but when they went ahead and released it as a boxed set I was shocked.
Then MKIII was coming and I was dreading it. It would either have to be a mould shadow heavy model or a multi part legs kit. Thank the Emperor they did them justice. Fantastic. They are extremely similar in size to the Resin ones with only slight re-working, which can easily be attributed to which forge the suit came from.
Effect on the Consumer (me).
So this has effected me in a few ways. I don't know where I stand with Forge World or what further adaptions they may need to make.
1) Currently I want to get some MKIV Assault Legionaires. Issue is the only ones readily available to me are the thin cousins of the plastic MKIV Legionaires. Are we going to be getting a beefed up plastic MKIV assault marine squad from GW? Or is Forge World going to release either an upgraded MKIV squad/or upgrade parts with weapons for the plastics?
2) Some components like the Word Bearer heads look very different when you try to mount it in a MKIV plastic torso. Will these kits be updated?
3) Will we see MKII or MKV kits? I would love to know this. If I had my choice, I would stick a new 10 man MKIV assault squad in with 20 MKII Legionaires, 10 MKV Legionaires, 5 MKI Terminators, Shang & Corswain, and have it based on the battle before The Prince of Crows between the Dark Angels and Night Lords.
4) Breachers? Are we getting MKIV upgrade sets? Will the current Breacher squad on FW get removed and turned to arms, head and shield upgrade sets?
5) the other Legion specific squads like Palatine blades, Night Raptors etc also are looking thin. Will these be tweaked in time?
I am very pleased that Games Workshop have decided to do a plastic range. I would also always purchase a plastic generic model over it's Resin counterpart or predecessor now. I do think the Character range is better suited to the Resin sculpts that Forge World are producing as the detail is very superior.
I am hopeful that Forge World and Games Workshop will be more open about what they are planning to develop or what they are designing as I do think currently we don't 100% know where we stand.
What do you think out there?