Tuesday 14 February 2017

The Aett Gaming room: Planning

Hello all. 

Well it's Valentine's Day and I'm lucky enough to be single. . . soooo I have spent the night planning a gift to me!!

So. As you all know I'm a massive wargamer and collector. Many of us have that moment in their life where they say "God I would love a awesome gaming room". Well I do too. 
So I recently purchased my first house and one of the kickers for the house I chose was the size of the garage. It is not a double garage, but in the United Kingdom garages are usually a "drive in and squeeze out of the car" style situation. The garage I have is just that little bit wider and a bit longer which is great. 
I immediately saw its potential and upon getting the house, I began planning it's destiny. It will be the perfect Fenrisian Gaming den. 

Ladies, Gentlemen and Bunnies I give you the mountain that will become the Aett. 

The room is 5.22m long by 3.06 wide. It has one window and a side door (on right out of pic) and a garage door behind. Tree covering the window has been moved now. 

There are a few brick supports which will remain with the plasterboard and insulation coming up halfway out from the return. 

The ceiling will be covered with 5mm mdf boarding with additional insulation added above (which will also have a loft hatch to allow for extra storage ).  I am fortunate that the whole room is filled with plug sockets and lighting too (which will be updated in time to something better than strip lighting). 

The side door opens onto s patio currently but eventually I hope a rear extension will allow the room to be accessible without exiting the house. 

The garage door will be replaced with a door and window to the front of the property. 

So the first step on this route is to contact the local authority/Council as I am planning a change to the front of my property (it is a minor change to a building Annex so hopefully all should go through ok). 
It is a Shared Ownership property so I do need to get permission from the housing association to make any changes. So I contacted them and they have asked me to fill in a document with a list of the changes I want to make. It is only a 2 page document and looks very straightforward and to the point. 

I have also provided them with drawings of the proposed changes. 



When it is all constructed I hope to have two tall glass fronted units (possibly 600mm deep ceiling height kitchen cabinets) framing the window that you can see in the first picture. 3 600mm deep and 600mm wide cabinets which are kitchen worktop tall will then be constructed between the two tall cabinets (all glass fronted apart from the fridge unit which will be loaded with beer). 

Various hobby collectibles will adorn (but not clutter) the walls too. I hope to have a Large Wolf skull (replica), wolf tail totem as well as a few replica items such as weapons and a Helmet to adorn the place. A television mounted on the wall as well as a top down camera set up to enable us to record battle reports is also an aim. 

So have you made a gaming room? I asked this to the community a little while ago but did not get a great response. You can email pics of your hobby den in its prime to us at thebattlebunnies(at)gmail.com (just replace the (at) with @), and we can look at putting a good Community post up soon of our gaming rooms. 

Drake Seta

17 comments:

  1. You single? Nah, you have the Bunnies! Seriously tho, great for you to convert the garage. Check out From the Fang, he's recently done his. http://fromthefang.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/gaming-garagetm-conversion-part-4.html

    And if you want to store in the rafters, you should really put in a load bearing cross beam, the roof struts are not load bearing. While you are at it, maybe a velux skylight for extra natural light?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooh yes. That is a great example of how to do it. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. So jealous of this. I've got a whole floor of my house that I envisaged turning into a gaming den when we bought it. Then along came my son, so it's his den now. Maybe he'll share it with me when he gets older...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids come first. They are always the priority. I'm sure he will follow in your footsteps and Dice rolls!

      Delete
  3. I live in a cupboard. With houses that have a garage costing easily upward of £200,000 it just isn't feasible however yours looks amazing. If it were me though I'd keep the open beams. It will make the space look airy and allow air to circulate in the summer cooling it down. That and vertical space can still be used, perhaps board up the edges for storage rather than the whole ceiling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks, I'm guessing London?
      And cheers, I will consider it.

      Delete
  4. Me and my wife are trying to build up the funds to buy a bit of land to build our own house. We have agreed that we will be having a gaming room in the attic, the thing that made me most happy was it was her that suggested it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that sounds cool. Send some pics when it happens.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great start...think I emailed in some pics last time of my 'War Room'.

    You can see the current status here at the moment (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/330409-evolution-of-the-war-room/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mike. I will put them up this time! :)

      Delete
  6. A great lair for a wargamer Drake ! Good luck, may the spirits of Fenris grant you strength ! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Idaeus. It's going to be a long journey.

      Delete
  7. This is awesome Drake! I recently turned the loft of my condo into my "War Room" and love it. -- on a side note, I have some Vlka Fenryka fluff questions that I am wondering if you, a fellow Rout lover might be able to shed some light on. What would be a good place to post those questions?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got carried away with my garage conversion and had the trussed rafters replaced with a cut roof, so no beams across. Makes it really airy and means I can have a skylight too. Even my wife approved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love that. I can't afford too much in the way of the construction at the moment, but I might go for it in the future.
      Send pics in though please!

      Delete