Tuesday 20 May 2014

WIP Mortarion

So I was like a child at Xmas. . . I can not lie. . . Mortarion was out of wrapping and having his first (and last) hot bath in 2 minutes of getting home. 

So I trawled the internet trying to settle on how I want him to look and have decided. I have taken him quite a bit further than the pic suggests but as it is my first Primarch I don't wanna show it all in one sitting. 


I was so so so tempted to sculpt a rebreather on him and only after revisiting Flight of the Eisenstein and reading the a passage early in when he is first seen about him no having a mask, did I decide to go without one. Also Rachel of Forge World's incredible artwork of his face utterly sold it to me. I asked for a photo but sadly I was not permitted yet. 

Anyhoo. I aim to get it done on Saturday so let's see what happens :)

Drake Seta

5 comments:

  1. This is seriously exciting. What a gorgeous model! Can't wait to see the end result of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can i ask what your plan for him is? Are uou gonna stick with the white from ur other death guards? (Might not be white and i might just be colourblind XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has brass armour in Flight of the Eisenstein and in his most famous piece of artwork that Edgar took as reference. So far I'm pleased. I have all the base layers done now.

      Delete
  3. You lucky man, I love the model. I think the white cloak on the FW website pictures don't really match the image in my mind. Do you have a plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. It is described as grey and as funeral deathshrouds in colour. I am quite unsure at mo to be honest. Will get the main body done then decide. For the muddy splotches on the hem though I will be loading a airbrush with white spirits getting a chosen weathering powder on a stiff brush. Then I will put a layer of white spirits on low down on the cloth, flick the pigment at it whilst still wet (to bond). Then I will do several low psi bursts of the airbrush til it settles in and looks natural.
      Just need to decide whether white or really light grey now.

      Delete