I am making good progress with my Sons of Horus, as you may have seen in the weekly progress report I have assembled my Xiphon and now the painting has begun!! The first model to go under the brush was a Justaerin terminator and I wanted to create a painting guide to help out anyone else looking to complete there own First Company! The guide is picture heavy and will be split into 2 parts. The weathering, which I will do once all of them are painted up to the standard below, will be done in a third post! I wanted the colours to be quite muted like in the Forgeworld art and to have a shine to the black, as Forgeworld achieved with there Abaddon paint job.
First up the completed model so you can see what we are heading towards.
Step 1: Base coat the model! I used Vallejo black surface primer applied with an airbrush but any method of under coating will work, as long as its black!
Step 2: Base coat the reds with Mephiston Red. This includes the left hand shoulder pad, hair, axe grip and all cloth/leather areas. Plus the Eye of Horus on the belt.
Step 3: Base coat the silvers with Leadblelcher. I picked out all the rivets and spikes, as well as cables, gun barrels, axe and joins between the armour plates. At this stage I also applied a very light dry brush to the edges of the armour panels. This was done to add some definition to the panels. I also highlighted the mouth grills and just above the eyes with thin lines.
Step 4: Dry brush the Combi-bolter with Leadbelcher, again lightly to catch the edges to add a worn look to it. I picked out a few details on the gun as well to break up the black.
Step 6: I painted the eyes at this point as they were annoying me being a lifeless red!! On the bottom of the eye I used Evil Suns Scarlett, this was applied just below the middle and all the way across. Then I added a White Scar dot to the top back corner of the eye. To finish the eyes off I added a thin line of Troll Slayer Orange to the very bottom of the eye.
Step 7: I washed the reds, silvers and golds with Agrax Earthshade. I choose to do them all with Agrax as I wanted to 'dirty' everything up a bit. This also added a lot of depth to up of these area.
Keep your eyes peeled for part 2 next week!