Sunday 20 December 2015

Pre Heresy Iron Hands: Ferrus Manus


Hello everyone,

I'm back with a quick post to show you the finished version of Ferrus Manus!



"Ferrus was amongst the strongest of the primarchs, within him burning the heat of the furnace, its fury tempered by an exterior as cold as unyielding iron"




After my last work in progress post I just needed to add the Ceramite White to one of the cog motifs and also add the Runefang Steel highlight. I chose to add the Ceramite White as it ties the rest of my Iron hands together and matches the clan transfers.




As I've already mentioned in a previous post it was the arms which I enjoyed painting the most. I used the Runefang Steel as the base with a light wash of Nuln Oil to pick out the muscles and then the Guiliman blue glaze to give them more of a liquid metal appearance. Finally I added a highlight of Runefang Steel to the raised parts of the muscles and the Guilliman blue glaze to fade the metal into the skin of his upper arms.




I have decided to not add the scenic base yet as I will probably magnetise the other components at a later date.




I did manage to get him completed by the Battle Bunnies Christmas party, however he really lacked a delivery method and ended up moving forwards with the Gordon Terminators and then back again without engaging any unit at all! This is why I have decided to add a Spartan assault tank into my future Iron Hands force.




I'm not the best builder of models so I did find the servo harness quite fiddly to put together, however I think it eventually came out quite well. The servo-harness itself includes a servo-arm, plasma blaster, graviton gun, grenade harness, heavy flamer and a nuncio-vox! Not bad at all!




With Ferrus completed I will soon be working on a character and I should be able to share my other completed units with you once the transfers are applied. I've now decided on Clan Sorrgol after reading about Meduson and I think he will make a great shattered legions leader in the future. I will also be doing a post with some background about Clan Sorrgol and why I have chosen this particular clan to focus on.


Thanks again for reading!

Aveinus Kaane


13 comments:

  1. Looks really good, excellent job. The arms particulary are superb. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks colonel, always appreciate the kind words!

      Delete
  2. Very cool paintjob. The glowing effect on the "backpack" adds a nice contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Its really easy to achieve just a Ceramite White base and a wash of Guilliman blue glaze :)

      Delete
  3. Clan Sorrgol! That sounds great Avinus.

    The model looks great!! Really really impressed with the face! Well done.
    The back pack and the glowing plasma is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Drake! Yeah Sorrgol for the win! I'm hoping to a get Meduson model from forgeworld in the future with him being in book six. The Iron Hands kind of need a leader with a model after Istvaan!

      Delete
  4. Great job! He is looking awesome! The Spartan is definitely a good plan after the little stroll he took at Bunnies Christmas battle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he really was useless in that game haha! I don't think he was even shot at!

      Delete
  5. The last few pictures are better because the light is lower and isn't washing out the layering in the paint I assume is there. I definitely think this is a case of photographs not doing the work any justice. Have you tried taking pictures against a plain paper or fabric background, just using natural daylight rather than artificial lighting? I'd REALLY like to see that because this is a stunning model (and, I've no doubt, a stunning paint job...) let down by not very good pictures.

    I'm not slagging you or anything, it's just that I think these pictures let down all your hard work... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I do see what you mean Kyle :), my camera isn't brilliant and the artificial light does drown out the layers particularly on his face. I'll have a go with some different backdrops and lighting. Although the natural light is terrible today!

      Delete