Sunday 25 May 2014

Primarch Mortarion complete.


Here he is. My Mortarion. 


I set out wanting to replicate the Above artwork from the Horus Heresy artwork for the Card game. This proved to be quite difficult but I think I got close. 

The Book Flight of the Eisenstein described Mortarion as having Brass armour under a Shroud of grey. I googled Brass and got many hits of this colour. 

I decided to use a Vallejo Old gold to come close to this colour. The Old gold can look quite dirty especially after washed with burnt umber oil paints and white spirits :)


The cape is an off grey white with a selection of weathering Powders fixed and blended with White Spirits. 


Silence was painted with layers of Warplock Bronze, Runelord Brass, washed with Agrax and sponged with Mithril Silver. Nihiliak Oxide was used for verdigris. 

The face was a difficult thing to get right and still may tweak it over next few weeks. Used Karak stone, druchi violet and yellow washes to get the pallid sheen to his skin and highlighted with Karak and a bit of admin grey. 





I'm happy with the model and am looking forward to his first battle :)


8 comments:

  1. He looks so... contagious.

    Great work, he looks awesome !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. His complexion was difficult and am still totally not satisfied. He is always described as ill looking and pallid. Issue is too sick looks Zombie!

      Delete
  2. Pretty darn good m8. And fast too. Jeez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I think it will be one of those models I will be editing for quite some time til I'm really happy. Got to soften the verdigris on the Scenic base.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic, defiantly true to the artwork!! How did you paint the off white armour and rust effects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. I painted the white armour plates white then sealed it with Ard' coat (purity seal would have dulled brass too much). I then painted streaks of Burnt Umber oil paint (Windsor Newton) which had been cut / thinned with White spirits. I then painted these on sporadically and where scuffs can occur, then flooded the sections with white spirits and dragged it down to create runnel effects.

      Delete